Man Strangled To Death By His Own Pet 8ft-Long Python
A snake lover was strangled to death by his own pet python – 8ft Tiny – after it wrapped itself around him and suffocated him.
An inquest into the death of Dan Brandon, who was found dead in his home, today heard he was tragically killed by his pet.
Dan, 31, was discovered last year at his home in Church Crookham, Fleet, in the room in which he kept his snakes, with the pet out of his pen.
His parents heard a loud bang from upstairs when preparing dinner and went to check on their son as he had failed to come downstairs, the coroner was told.
They attempted to perform CPR on him, after noticing Tiny was not in his pen, but Dan couldn’t be saved.
His mother Babs told Basingstoke Coroners’ Court today he kept 10 snakes and 12 tarantulas in his room at the family home and had had Tiny, an African rock python, since she was small enough to fit in his hand.
Coroner Andrew Bradley recorded a verdict of misadventure and said:
Mr Bradley said the snake then hid, probably “because of the shock of him falling or because of his reaction”. He added Mr Brandon was asphyxiated “as a result of contact with Tiny”, and that he “cannot see any other reason” for the death.
Mr Brandon’s parents, brother and sister were in court, and Mrs Brandon told the coroner the snake loved her son, he never felt threatened by Tiny and was aware of how strong she was.
Dan’s family said that he had always been most wary of Tiny but that she was his “baby”, and had stopped putting her around his neck as he did with all of his other snakes.
Mr Bradley’s mother still looks after the snakes and showed off a bite she has on her hands that another snake gave her ten days ago.