Senior Special Assistant on Prosecutions to President Muhammadu Buhari, Chief Okoi Obono-Obla has revealed secrets behind the unrest in Cross River few days after his nephew, Jude Iroegbu Junior was murdered by suspected cultists in Ugep, Cross River.
On his Facebook page he wrote;
STATEMENT ON CULT RELATED VIOLENCE AND SPATE OF KILLINGS IN UGEP, YAKURR; OBUDU, OGOJA AND CALABAR SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS OF CROSS RIVER STATE OF NIGERIA
1. On the 29 June, 2017 at about 5.22pm, my young nephew, Jude Iroegbu Junior was viciously, gruesomely and brutally murdered by cultists led by Item Eno Obla (of Utom, Ijiman Town, Ugep); Sunday Abam (A.K.A OjorKesorokpor) of Aneja, Ijom Town, Ugep; Nta Ofor (aka Obor).
2. They dealt axes and machetes cuts on Jude Iroegbu Jnr. and he fell down writhing in pains and thereafter, one of them shot Jude Iroegbu Jnr. on his stomach and chest, killing him.
3. The Other members of the Axemen who participated in the killing of Jude Iroegbu Junior include thus: Ebri Omenka; Era Felix Ibiang; Ikpi Ewa; Otu Ikpi Ewa; Sunday Ojo; Derricko Okoi; Arikpo Okoi Opukor; Cross Belt; Payapaya Obol Yaseni; Eni Offing; Idebe Etowa; Etowa Etowah; Utum Ejegbe; Ebri Udumo; Ken Senator; Ubi Eno; Eteme Ofem and Authority.
4. Item Eno Obla is a notorious cultist and terrorist/murderer and is the head of the notorious and dreaded Axemen, a group that often terrorise People in Ugep. He is said to be under the sponsorship and protection of some influential politicians from the Yakurr Federal Constituency. He is also the “Commander’’ of the group that serves as Palace Guards. Thereafter, hundreds of Axemen were mobilised in their hundreds armed with axes, automatic rifles, pistols and machetes to terrorise the natives of Ugep.
5. These two cult groups in Ugep are a threat to the peace and security of the People of Ugep, Yakurr Local Government Area. The two groups of cultists are well funded financed by some powerful Politicians and individuals. They have a stock pile of modern weaponry in their arsenal which they often use to unleash terror on the hapless people.
6. The incident of 29th June, 2017, has caused palpable tension and fear in the Ugep Community and unless something is done there is a likelihood of reprisals and communal violence erupting in Ugep which is the second largest Urban City in Cross River State.
7. As a conscientious citizen of Nigeria and a Traditional Ruler in my capacity as the Obol Lopon and Village Head of Letampankom Community in Ijiman Town, Ugep Urban, I have a duty to ensure that all those who participated in the murder of Jude Iroegbu Junior and wanton destruction of property in Ugep on the 29th June, 2017, are brought to book.
8. In this wise, I have submitted a six (6) paged petition today, the 3 July, 2017 to the Inspector General of Police, Mr Ibrahim Idris for investigation of the unfortunate incident that led to the murder of Jude Iroegbu Junior.
9. In the petition I have prayed the Inspector General of Police to do the following thus:
i.The recruitment of Axemen by the Obol Lopon of Ugep, Obol Ofem Ubangha , to serve as Palace Guards in the Obol Lopon’s Palace, Ugep;
ii.The stockpiling of dangerous weapons in Ugep by the cult and terrorists groups known as Bargers and Axemen;
iii.The involvement of Bargers and Axemen in killings; terrorism and criminal activities such as extortion and armed robbery in Ugep and its environs;
iv The membership of Bargers and Axemen;
v. retrieval of dangerous weapons in the arsenals of Bargers and Axemen;
vi.Who are the financiers and sponsors of Bargers and Axemen.
10. I urge the Governor of Crops River State of Nigeria, Senator Ben Ayade to constitute a highly powered Judicial Commission to investigate the remote and immediate causes of the recent outbreak of cult related violence and killings in Obudu, Ogoja, Ugep and Calabar South with a view of identifying the perpetrators of cult inspired violence and killings in the State.
3 July, 2017
Source – BN